The very attractive galletted flint 13th Century Parish Church of St. Andrew’s sits in the very heart of the village. Its wooden shingle spire topped by a golden cockerel stands conspicuously above the surrounding flat countryside. It was founded when Richard was Bishop of Chichester. The exterior looks much as it did in 1220 but the interior was restored extensively in the 1860’s and seats approximately 150. The church terrier comprises the building itself surrounded by a churchyard set above the approach road, Church Lane, and a separate graveyard 200 metres to the north. Services are held every Sunday at 11:00. Having actively defeated a threat of closure five years ago, the Church serves the wider community by providing a welcoming venue for secular activities including a lending library and toddler group and is used for occasional concerts.
St. Andrew’s Church Oving – Services and Details
Eucharist Services are held every Sunday of each month. On the second Sunday there is a robed choir, including some new junior members. Lessons and Intercessions are delivered by lay members of the congregation. In addition to hymns taken from the New English Hymnal, the congregation currently sings the Responses; Psalms and other parts of the service.
St Andrews Church, Oving