Gribble Inn Fire

Oving community has awoken today to the heartbreaking news that the Gribble Inn has caught fire. See the Chichester Observer article breaking the story, the BBC News article or the ITV Meridian article.

The Gribble Inn is at the heart of the community, being the only pub within the parish. The news will come as a shock to all the regulars and visitors alike of this beautiful establishment.

Our thoughts are with Simon and Nikki during this dreadful time. At the moment (Sat 10:30am) the fire crew are moving traffic on. But if anyone wishes to offer any messages or practical support, you can contact us and we will pass it on when appropriate.



Statement from the Chairman of Oving Parish Council:

“I was deeply distressed to hear that The Gribble in Oving has been badly damaged by fire early this morning. The emergency services are doing a sterling job as I write this and I want to record the Parish Council’s gratitude to them, Southern Electric and the Red Cross for providing support as well.

I know I echo the sentiments of many people in sending Simon and Nicky and the Hague family, our very best wishes from the whole Community. We, as a Parish Council, are prepared to assist in any way we can in the future.

I feel sure that there are many other people prepared to offer help, and I would urge you to use this web site to let us know if you wish to do so. ”

Sjoerd Schuyleman
Oving Parish Chairman


– Red Cross have set up a tent at Madam Green Farm to give support to the emergency services

– around 30 houses have been without power, measures are being taken to reconnect them as soon as possible

– Chichester District Council are aware of the situation and the Emergency Department have been liaising with the Community Wardens

– it is reported that the thatch roof has been removed in efforts to control the fire